Welcome to Dr Karen Halford
I am a Clinical Psychologist with many years of experience of working in both the NHS and in private practice. I offer psychological assessment and therapy and counselling services to adults of all ages with a range of difficulties.
- Depression (from mild to severe) including postnatal depression
- Eating Disorders/difficulties (anorexia, bulimia, binge-eating)
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)
- Panic attacks
- Bipolar Disorder
- Trauma / Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Adjustment to difficult life events (relationship breakdown, redundancy)
- Low self-esteem and low confidence
- Stress-related difficulties
- Difficulties associated with childhood abuse
My training and experience enables me to utilise different approaches with different people, according to the current research evidence and taking into account an individual’s preferences and needs. I often use Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) to help people to move forward and overcome their problems, but I am also trained in schema therapy, mindfulness, Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing (EMDR), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) and compassion-focused approaches.
I am Chartered by (and an Associate Fellow of) the British Psychological Society (BPS) and fully registered as a Clinical Psychologist by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). This means that I offer high levels of expertise and knowledge and follow professional and ethical guidelines in my practice. I am committed to continuing professional development so I often attend additional training and I have regular supervision to ensure the highest levels of professional care for my clients.
I have a confidential therapy room in Milton Park, Abingdon (near Oxford) with plenty of free parking.
If you would like to book an initial appointment with me, please feel free to get in touch.
Alternatively, I would be really happy to have an informal discussion with you on the telephone or to answer any questions you might have by phone or email.